Welcome To My Blog



Ever wonder what it's like to be in that moment between struggling artist and published author? Read on and find out.



Wednesday, July 6, 2011

So You Want To Blog: Creating Your Blog

            When I started this blog I decided not to give advice on writing. I’m an author in training and have a lot to learn about getting published. Let’s face it; the only thing I’m an expert on is how to act like a goofball. Does anyone really need me to give expert advice on that subject? I don’t think so.
            The original intention was to give my fellow unpublished authors an insight into what it was like to be a published author. I have attempted to do that with interviews of successful authors that I have encountered during my recent efforts to blog. I try to include questions that will give us a sense of what published authors experience. Maybe knowing a little about we can expect once we’re published will help us better prepare for it.

            That is going to change somewhat with this posting. It isn’t a matter of my having mastered any of the subjects related to writing. Instead, I have realized that I’m placing unnecessary limits on myself and what I blog. There are several topics I want to present that loosely fall into the category of writing advice. The great thing about it is that I don’t have do the actual instruction; there are some great resources on the web already and I can point you to them.

            Which brings me to my second reason for expanding my blogging to include posts about the art of writing: while I have found a few sites that are great on one, or two, writing topics – I want it all. Or more accurately, I want to make it easier for my fellow unpublished authors to find what they need to get started.

            Where better to start than with information on creating your very own blog.


            <Feel free to insert you own joyous sounds of fanfare here.>



            A good first step in getting your blog started is deciding what you want to do with it. Are you going to share bits of your life? Are you going to use it to chronicle your adventures in writing? Are you going to establish yourself as an expert on a subject so that people will be drawn to your blog to find out the latest news about your chosen topic? Or are you going to amuse people with your highly developed wit?

            Decide what’s going to work best for you and is best suited for what you want to accomplish with your blog. In many cases, the blog allows you to start gathering a fan base even before you’ve written your bestselling novel. Write something that will grab their attention and make them want to come back for more. (Before you start crediting me with brilliance, keep in mind that I’m just repeating what I’ve heard from those more learned than myself on the topic.) You’ll want to have all this decided before you create the actual blog.

            Now, create your blog.

            Don’t panic. I did it and if I can do it so can you. Granted, I had the help of Tristi Pinkston’s workshop and if you get the chance I recommend that you do the same. However, you will have access to this great site that has a complete walk through on how to setup a blog and it even includes pictures.


  

Here are a few suggestions as you begin your blogging journey.

 · Think of a catchy name for your blog.

           15 Minutes of Delusion

            Inking Cap

           The Lyon's Tale

· Pick a background that reinforces the theme / purpose of your blog. (I used a desert landscape since I’m from Arizona.)

· Use pictures and video to give life to your blog.

· Be the blog. Let your personality come out so everyone can get to know you.

· Be prepared to blog consistently.

· Don’t let blogging stop you from writing.

            I could add pages of suggestions, but I think this should be enough for now. After all, I don’t want to scare you away from blogging. You can do this. Take these first few steps and let the world about you and what you care about.




No comments:

Post a Comment