Welcome To My Blog



Ever wonder what it's like to be in that moment between struggling artist and published author? Read on and find out.



Friday, October 21, 2011

Interview with Christine Fonseca - Part II

     Book signings; the dream event of many upcoming authors. Here is the second part of my interview with Christine Fonseca as we discuss her experiences with book signings. I don't know about you, but this has certainly got me psyched about getting a chance to do one of my own.


Randy: Do you work with your agent, or publisher, on the book signings?

Christine: I did not – I have set them up on my own. But, I do have friends who have published with larger publishers that have help setting up their signings.
 

Randy: How is your reaction towards book signings different now then from when you were first published?

Christine: I am smarter now – I know not to expect a stampede of expectant fans. And I have really learned that “non-events” – you know those signings in which no one comes – are events. I have made connections with bookstore personnel that has proven helpful in the long run. Even if I didn’t have a great event.
 

Randy: How many book signings do you do for each novel? Or is it a continuing process that you plan a certain number of signings each year?

Christine: I plan signings – or really book chats – per year, trying to secure a 1x mos way to visibly connect with readers. This has proven very successful for my two educational titles – both of which exceeded publisher expectations.
 

Randy: How does a book signing differ for a recently published book as compared to one that has been out for awhile?

Christine: For me, no difference. But then again, I am really talking about educational titles – evergreen books that do not have a specific shelf life like most novels.
 

Randy: Is the first book signing for a new release an opportunity for the author to judge the book’s success?

Christine: Absolutely NOT. Unless you are a career author with a large following, book signings will not typically be big events. That is why it is so great to have multiple author events.
 

Randy: What do you pay attention to at your signings? Customer comments? Number of people attending? Or the level of enthusiasm the readers display?

Christine: For me, these things are all about connections. One person or 100’s of people (and yes, for my lectures and book chats I have had the full range) makes no difference. Every encounter is a chance to connect with a reader. You never know where those connections will lead.
 

Randy: Do you enjoy connecting with your readers at the book signings?

Christine: Definitely – it is the ONLY real reason I do them. Hearing my readers tell me about a positive experience they had with the book, or hearing them processing some information I shared is the best part of this whole thing.
 

Randy: What suggestions can you give authors about connecting to your fans at book signings?

Christine: Be authentic in all things. The public as a whole has little tolerance for anything else.




1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing about your experience, Christine. Book signings seem like a pretty foreign concept for me. I imagine for anyone that hasn't ever done one... But maybe less so for people who've at least attended one.

    Thanks for hosting her, Randy!

    ReplyDelete