Welcome To My Blog



Ever wonder what it's like to be in that moment between struggling artist and published author? Read on and find out.



Friday, October 12, 2012

Movie Review - Hotel Transylvania


Hotel Transylvania  $$$   

 
 

PG
91 Minutes
Starring: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Andy Samberg, and Selena Gomez.
Director: Genndy Tartakovsky.

 
            I took my crew with me to see this movie and we enjoyed it. The children probably more than me, but it was a good time none-the-less.
            In order to protect his daughter, Mavis (Selena Gomez), from the evil humans, Dracula (Adam Sandler) has built a hotel for monsters. It is hidden away from the rest of the world with safeguards that guarantee that no human will find it.
            It works marvelously for over a hundred years. And then Jonathan (Andy Samberg) arrives. Paradoxically enough, he is led to the hotel when Dracula attempts to trick Mavis into staying at home rather than going out to see the world. The presence of a human in this monster sanctuary threatens to ruin Dracula’s hard work to protect his daughter.
            Dracula dresses Jonathan up as a monster and then hilarity ensues.
 
            Adam Sandler puts in a rare, restrained performance in this film. I didn’t realize it was him until the credits rolled at the end. The voice talent as a whole was great. I particularly liked Kevin James as Frankenstein and my children continue to quote the gremlin with “I didn’t do that.”
            The animation is good. While the plot is not very original, I believe you can’t go wrong with a classic coming of age storyline. That is, as long as it’s done correctly and this film was done correctly.
            Animated films like this should be seen on the big-screen first with all of the theater quality sound that goes with it. However, it certainly doesn’t need to be seen at a premium price. I recommend catching this as a matinee or other discounted showing. While I thoroughly enjoyed sitting through the film it failed to really stick with me afterwards. I wouldn’t resist seeing it again – nor would I put any effort to arrange a second viewing.

 

            Randy’s Rating System 

$$$$   = Full Price    See this movie right away and pay full price, it’s worth it.
$$$     = Matinee      Catch this as a matinee or other discounted showing.
$$        = Discount     Wait until this movie reaches a discount theater near you.
$          = Rental         Wait until this movie reaches your local video rental outlet.
0          = No Sale       Don’t see this movie at any price.

 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a movie my son and I would enjoy. Thanks, Randy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling my Chipmunk would like it. Thanks for the review.

    Oh, the things we do for our kiddo's entertainment :-)

    ReplyDelete