Welcome To My Blog



Ever wonder what it's like to be in that moment between struggling artist and published author? Read on and find out.



Wednesday, September 11, 2013

This Ain't No Yellow Submarine


            It’s been a long time since I participated in the flash fiction writing prompt put on by Carrie K Sorensen. So here is my latest. The idea is to combine the picture below with the five random words they provide and make a story out of it—a very short story.
            This week the words were: Letter, Velcro, Planet, Shopping, and Fever. And this is what I came up with. I hope you enjoy it. 

 
 
 

WE ALL LIVE IN A YELLOW NON-SUBMERSIBLE
 

            The upbeat tempo of the Beatles rattled through the interior of the Sea Banana. Whenever I pointed out that the exploration ship was not a yellow submarine Dorry and the others just laughed. They seemed to miss the whole point of the experiment—to stay afloat and remain self-sufficient for as long as possible.
            I grabbed my portable work station and setup on the sunny deck. A letter back home always help set me right. Of course, I had to be careful about what I wrote. My family thought I was researching a new breakthrough in Velcro. What I couldn’t let them know was that this was a test run for a mission to another planet. A world fully engulfed by ocean.
            In a way I already felt separated from the rest of the world. My sister discussed shopping and I was worried about a case of Yellow Fever that one of the crew had come down with. Imagine that, yellow fever on a yellow boat. If it wasn’t so serious it’d be hilarious.
            After making up a few stories about fictional scientists making fictional strides in adhesive technology I gave in to the temptation to pour my heart out. You know, all of that sentimental crap that people don’t bother with as long as everything’s fine. I could't help it.
            We haven’t seen another boat for six weeks and it makes me think about our ship being alone in the vast ocean of space. Then after that, sailing the friendless seas of that distant planet. Sometimes it feels as if I’m already gone.

6 comments:

  1. Randy--I liked this. I was going to mark my reactions. I first thought of funny--it made me smile, but overall it's interesting and contemplative. Perfect setting for the picture and words. Plus, training for a planet covered in water is a fresh idea. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. I liked the humurous start to the story but as I read on I realised there was a deeper meaning coming through with the loneliness and separation and keeping things such a secret. I enjoyed reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. It means a lot to me when someone enjoys my stories. I'll just have to write more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Randy ... Fun Read.
    I was caught by the lonely 'velcro' scientist writing home.
    Love how we can all look at the same picture and create such different stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that is what makes these prompts so fun, the way everyone is inspired differently. That and the fact that they really jump start the creative process. At least, for me they do.

      Delete